Monday, April 25, 2005

Blogs of Note

Well I've discovered a couple new blogging toys over the past month or so.

Haloscan commenting system. ~ A definitive improvement over bloggers comments. Much more flexible and guess what... It actually works. At 3am, it works. At 9pm, it works. And by working, I mean you don't have to wait for 15 minutes for the page to load that says wether your comment was posted or if it was just plain lost becuase blogger lagged it into submission. And with a premium membership for a whopping $12 a year, you can do just about anything. Still havent figured a way to move comments to it from blogger, but I think thats more bloggers fault as it has no way to export or import comments. Maybe doing that by hand if I get bored enough.

Gravatar. ~ This is a handy little feature for Haloscan and a host of other programs. It makes an associtiaton with an email address you give and a picture. Afterwards, anytime you use that email address in a comment, it will automatically post that picture. So I can keep the same picture associated with my comments over several different blogs. Kind of neat, and great becuase it is free. Another great feature is their privacy policy.

My Shout Box. ~ This is the best functioning tag box that I have found so far. It is fairly customizable. It is free. And it doesn't iniate pop-up's. Its far from perfect, but it does let you swear. The site however can be a bit of a nightmare, and it does go down from time to time taking your tag box with it. However its rare enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

And now for the blogs of note....

Well I havent really done much surfing lately so there are only a few. And some of them I've been visiting forever and just finally realized they had never made it to my blogs of note. It's like cleaning out under my fridge yesterday. It's amazing what orange juice looks like after five years of sitting out.

Bryan's Movie Reveiws ~ This is the only site I check for movie reviews. You make recognize the author as he also posts on this site quite often. Not all of his reviews are posted here nor are all of the ones he posts here on his site. Anyways, his reviews are usually pretty open minded and very descriptive of what types of people will like this or that movie. Hopefully this will get him to start writing movie reviews more often.

Watermelon memories ~ She's been a regular visitor here for some time and I there for about as long. I thought I had posted her in one of the old blogs of note, but I hadn't so here goes. Her site doesn't really stick to any particular theme. One day she'll bitch about a house guest. The next its a internet quiz. Currently I am waiting to see what she finds out on her exploration of free blog hosting sites as we may be moving. (though I think switching to haloscan solvds about half of the problems we were having)

The world according to Tish! ~ I first found her site while checking out Dead Guy's cartoons. This is definately one for all the S.A.H.M.'s that read this page (there are at least three that I know of). I showed it to my wife the other day and she was reading it for the next hour and half. Very comedic stories of life as a mom.

Gypsy in the wind ~ I don't really know much about this page. I've never read it before, but while I was writing this, she left a message saying I look sexy, so I am posting a link to her. My wife is reading the site and seems to be enjoying it so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read more of it later tonite.

Just because I can...not because it's important ~ I'm not sure how I found this blog, or how they found me. I was looking thru old links and found it in one of my blogrolls. We are also in his blogroll. I liked the rant about Russel Crow.

Legends of the Drunken Master ~ Another regular visitor to our page. Figured I'd give him a shout out for putting up with us. He posts some funny rants about his everyday life. I want one of those comic book's shirts.

Holly's Fight for Justice ~ Truth be told, I don't get this site. Shes had a link up to us forever. It's not a bad site, I just can't relate. Its all about criminal victims in Canada. I've never been a criminal victim, nor do I live in Canada. But if either of those apply to you, this might be a good site to check out.